About the Digital Enablement for SMEs Programme
The Digital Enablement for SMEs (DESME) project is predominantly focused upon SMEs, sole traders and micro businesses.
UK construction is made up of SMEs, particularly micro businesses and sole traders which accounts for over 95% of the sector. Identifying these businesses and ensuring that their skills needs are considered and met is the central part of the project.
The Lloyds Business Digital Index 2018 highlighted £84.5bn is being lost to the UK economy through 42% of SMEs not having the five basic digital skills:
- Managing information: Find, manage and store digital information and content
- Communicating: Communicate, interact, collaborate, share and connect with others
- Transacting: Purchase and sell goods and services, organise finances, register for and use Government digital services
- Creating: Engage with communities and create basic digital content
- Problem Solving: Increase independence and confidence by solving problems using digital tools and finding solutions
By focusing on the most in-need employers the DESME programme will seek to support Construction SMEs through a package of workshops and training materials to create improved digital competency in the bottom tiers of the supply chain.
The Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership is one of 38 LEPs in England.
Our purpose is to lead and influence economic growth, job creation and prosperity across the Heart of the South West area covering Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay.
We have over 40 years’ experience, facilitating growth in our clients’ businesses by increasing their productivity, revenues and market share, and in turn, contribute to economic prosperity by creating wealth and jobs.
Cosmic is a social enterprise offering digital skills training and services to a wide range of organisations, communities and individuals.